Who should be baptized?
Every person who has made the decision to believe in Christ.
Simon himself believed and was baptized... ~ Acts 8:13
The ABC’s of believing:
• Admit you are a sinner.
• Believe that Christ died for your sins.
• Commit your life to Him.
What is the meaning of baptism?
1. It is a symbol of Christ's burial and resurrection.
Christ died for our sins... He was buried... and He rose again. ~ 1 Corinthians 15:3-4
2. It is a symbol of your new life as a Christian.
Baptism does not make you a believer; it shows that you believe! Baptism does not "save" you, only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring -- it's the outward symbol of the commitment you made in your heart.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith... it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. ~ Ephesians 2:8-9
Why be baptized?
1. Because you want to follow the example set by Christ.
Jesus was 30 years old when he was baptized. Jesus' baptism was an act of obedience to show that He had chosen to follow the Father's will for his life.
And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." ~ Matthew 3:17
2. Because Christ commands it.
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. ~ Matthew 28:19
3. Because it shows you are a believer.
...many (of the people) who heard Him believed and were baptized. ~ Acts 18:8
4. Because obeying Christ's command shows you know him.
We know the we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands. ~ 1 John 2:3
How are we to be baptized?
1. Like Jesus was baptized - by being immersed in water. It is the best way to picture a burial and resurrection.
As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. ~ Matthew 3:16
2. Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion under water.
...then both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water... ~ Acts 8:38-39
3. The word baptizes literally means "to dip under water." The Greek word baptizo means "to immerse or dip under water."